Posted by: Mazur Rodica
News / Regional
28 May 2020 / 19:20
The Transnistrian region has extended its lockdown regime
The Transnistrian region today extended its self-isolation regime until June 15. This means that illegal customs posts will continue to be installed and the movement of people, including economic agents, but also of the Chisinau authorities will be restricted. Deputy Prime Minister for Reintegration Cristina Lesnic said all requests for dialogue had been rejected by breakaway Tiraspol authorities, who said they could handle the pandemic on their own.
"Access to the Transnistrian region has been restricted for all persons, except those residing in the Transnistrian region and for the diplomatic corps. Restriction procedures have been applied to the other people, including procedures that have conditioned several protests, if you will, against Chisinau, in order to ensure effective dialogue and communication. Tiraspol's statements were very vocal that he is doing well," said Cristina Lesnic.
"Unfortunately, the people of Tiraspol tried to fortify this crisis in order to promote certain political interests, I am referring first of all to the illegal installation of over 20 mobile checkpoints in the security zone. It is a policy that under the guise of the crisis, when everyone is distracted, they are concerned, you create some facts on the ground and after the crisis ends you present them as such," mentioned Andrei Popov, director of the Institute for Strategic Policies.
"All our calls were ignored by the institutions and structures that have a bearing on the situation in the security zone," said Ion Manole, executive director of the Promo-LEX Association.
So far, 952 cases of infection and 37 deaths have been reported in the Transnistrian region. Of the more than 320,000 citizens of the Republic of Moldova who live in the region, many are registered to benefit from services at medical centers on the right bank of the Dniester.